Thursday 11 March 2010

German Shepherd Dog commission in watercolour

Ch. Jasueter Silber Yacco - watercolour 20" x 16"

This is a commission I finished a few weeks ago and I thought you might like to see it; I would say a German Shepherd face and expression at its best - honest and true.  It is a watercolour painted on Saunders Waterford NOT paper - my favourite paper to use. My watercolour paints are Winsor and Newton as are my oils - quality paints in my opinion. I do feel that when you are painting it is foolish to use anything less than top quality materials. When you think of the enormous amount of hours it takes to create a painting such as this one, it seems crazy to use less than the best materials. It is the same with brushes. I never use anything other than sable brushes for my watercolours. I admit I have tried cheaper nylon mixes, but have never used them in an actual painting as I have found them useless - despite what all the advertisements would have you believe! 

I did take several photographs some while ago detailing the process of stretching watercolour paper as I know this poses a problem for quite a few people - nothing more irritating that having a lovely piece of watercolour paper buckling in all directions when a water wash is applied to it! I have filed the photos away somewhere and at the moment have no idea where! If there is a demand, I will hunt them out and show them here to try and help all you aspiring watercolourists! :)

2 comments:

Hannaspiringartist said...

wow; you have some considerable skill! Thank you for sharing with us.

annezoutsos said...

Thanks so much - your comment is greatly appreciated :)