Friday 16 July 2010

Dalmatian Commission

22" x 18" watercolour on Saunders Waterford NOT paper

This is a portrait I have been working on for a while and just recently completed. I can show it here now as the owners have seen it and are very happy with it. These two sweet girls have passed on through old age, having spent their lives as much loved pets. It was quite emotionally tough painting them - it always is hard painting dogs no longer around. It may be difficult for non-artists to understand this, and the rapport the artist builds up with his/her subject, even if only seen in a photograph (as most of mine are), but I am sure any pet portrait artists reading this will understand only too well. Nevertheless, it is a privilege to be able to pay tribute to much loved animals.

Anna and Misha




8 comments:

Deanna said...

Exquisite. Words can not express how wonderfully you capture the animal's individual features. I'm just starting out but I've already learned how hard it is to capture the likeness.

I know a lot of people will not understand how hard that is. Not all Dalmatians look alike, they have their own personalities and your ability to capture this is amazing. I can see how you get attached to your subjects even if you have never met them and never knew them.

annezoutsos said...

Thank you Deanna. Yes, it is easy to paint just a dog but much harder to 'see into' a photo for the individual personality.

When I am painting an animal for that little time to me they become mine and so yes I do become very attached to them.

Good luck with your painting :)

Anne

Judy said...

Your work is amazing! The owners I am sure will always treasure this portrait of their beautiful girls. I also know how hard it is to paint a departed very much loved pet.

annezoutsos said...

Thank you Judy :) Yes, I'm afraid I've shed many a tear over a departed pet I'm painting and have wondered more than once if I'm in the right line of work!

Anne

Cheri Wollenberg said...

Absolutely striking! Beautiful work.

annezoutsos said...

Thank you so much Cheri - it's lovely to read such wonderful comments by fellow artists :)

Anne

Dean Grey said...

What elegant portraits, Anne!

-Dean

annezoutsos said...

Thanks ever so much Dean :)