Saturday 3 October 2009

The Watcher In The Sun (Jack Russell Terrier)

The Watcher In The Sun (Jack Russell Terrier) - 7" x 5" oil on hardboard/masonite

I think this painting gives a feeling of peace but not a sleepy sort of quiet but a watchful waiting for the return of a beloved owner.  I know that when I have been out for several hours without my dogs (not a frequent occurrence), when I get home, far from being rested, they are very tired. I know that they are not noisy when I am out so must presume that they are like the dog in this painting, patiently waiting and watching for my return.

What then of dogs who wait and whose owners never return?  I hate to think what they must go through.

When this painting is sold, a 10% donation from the profits will be made to Old Dog Haven whose website is well worth a visit.

SOLD

(as usual it hasn't been possible to get a totally accurate photo of the colours and tones in the painting but it is as accurate as I can get it!)


Based on the photograph by *etoile at Flickr

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

* etoile photo site:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/snips

Ângelaツ said...

Aaww... This is so sad and so true... My doggies are alone during most of the day, but we have a big yard, so we can leave them outside to play with the kitties, so they won't feel so lonely :)

annezoutsos said...

And at least Angela you DO go back to them. It breaks my heart to think of abandoned dogs, still faithfully waiting for their uncaring humans - they deserve better.