Monday 10 January 2011

Dalmatian - Dyson

Dyson - 10" x 8" oil on hardboard

This next Christmas commission consists of two paintings - a head study and a full body portrait - a double rememberance of a dog who died at far too early an age and is desperately missed by his owners. I am showing the head study today. 

These were difficult paintings for me, not technically, but emotionally. One of the reference photographs sent, while not suitable for the pose of either painting, was a very close up shot and one I looked at often to really get to know Dyson - he was obviously a lovely dog and I can totally understand his owners' heartbreak.

Dyson's owner let his wife into the secret (they had been planned as a surprise Christmas present for her) after he had seen emails of the paintings and I know that when they were received, it was both with joy and heartache. I am glad that they have now plucked up the courage and hung them, so that Dyson can in a small way still be with them. On a brighter note, I am very pleased indeed to report that they now share their lives with a Dalmatian puppy named Ditto who has brought laughter back into their lives.

To commission a painting or purchase an original or print, please either visit my main website or email me at info@azpaintings.com

2 comments:

Studio at the Farm said...

Another beautiful portrait, Anne. I love his collar, so colorful. Your story was sad and lovely, and reminded me of the four-legged friends who have passed through and blessed my life.

annezoutsos said...

Thanks so much Kathryn. His owner told me he was known for his colourful collar. Yes, it always brings back memories of our own dogs and other pets loved and lost...