Monday 27 September 2010

Dalmatian WIP 'Sydney'

Looking To The Light - 7" x 5" oil on hardboard/masonite

Here is my latest 'evening' (or 'relaxing') painting - or at least as far as I have got with it.

I had very mixed feelings about painting this particular Dalmatian called Sydney as her story is rather a sad one...

Sydney was a puppy rescued by Dalmatian Rescue of Southwest Virginia, and she was suffering from a disease called megaesophagus. The rescuers did all in their power to try and give Sydney a chance at life - and in fact worked extraordinarily hard to do so. Her progress was followed by many of us on facebook, enchanted by this sweet, frail puppy. Very sadly her struggle with life became too much for her  little body to take and she was released from this existence with love and compassion. 

It still brings tears to my eyes as I write this and you may wonder why I decided to go ahead with her portrait. I suppose for me it is a way of honouring both her existence and the massive efforts made on her behalf by DRSWV. I think it goes without saying that the donation from this painting once it is finished and sold, will be going to the rescue who did so much for her, and who give so much time and care to rescuing and finding forever homes for Dalmatians in need - Dalmatian Rescue of Southwest Virginia.

If you would like to contact me my email address is info@azpaintings.com

My thanks to Diana Morgan Crush for allowing me to use her photograph

Addendum : this painting is now booked for purchase on completion

8 comments:

Carrie Waller Watercolors said...

I always love your Dalmation paintings. I couldn't read the story, I'm still sad about the last sad one. Lovely work!

annezoutsos said...

I'm sorry bricarwaller - I certainly don't want to make people sad - I'd better paint something jolly next time! I'm glad you like my Dalmatian paintings though :)

Kate McCutchen said...

I love your paintings, Anne - and I followed Sydney's story too - this is a lovely tribute to the work they do and to a very sweet and brave little girl.

annezoutsos said...

Thank you so much Kate - I think there were an awful lot of us hoping so much that she could be saved.

Deborah Boyet said...

I have such a soft spot for the little ones, so brave, and so endearing as they are sweet, valiant, and dignified. God bless the people who took the time to give her love and try to help her. I love that you are making a painting to honor her life.
Deborah

annezoutsos said...

Yes indeed Deborah - she was a very brave, sweet and affectionate little girl and the rescue fought and fought to save her life but it was not to be. I'm glad you like my painting as a way to honour her short life.

Debi Smith said...

I am amazed at how much you have captured Sydney's spirit. She touched a lot of lives, and even though we had to let her go, I don't think any of us will ever forget her. We hold on to the thought that she is running and playing happily at the Rainbow Bridge and eating everything in sight.

Debi
Dalmatian Rescue of Southwest Virginia

annezoutsos said...

Thank you very much Debi - a great compliment from one who knew her.