Tuesday 21 April 2009

Roman At Rest

10" x 8" oil on hardboard/masonite

When I was approached by Anne Stark of the famous Pipers whippets and dachshunds with a request to paint her first Champion whippet dog, Roman, I was delighted but also rather daunted. The reason for this concern was that several of Anne's dogs have been superbly painted by other artists including to my certain knowledge, the extremely talented artists Mark Adams and Jeanne Illeyne. However, it was of course impossible not to want to paint such a beautiful dog and so I accepted the challenge to portray Roman in my own style. I hope I have managed to convey his expression of both alertness and sweetness - not always an easy combination, but for me the expression is really the crux of a detailed dog portrait - it has to be right.

If you take a look at Anne's website, you'll find it packed with photos of gorgeous dogs including of course the handsome Roman - it's well worth spending time there if you're a dog addict like me!


SOLD



No comments: