Wednesday 9 June 2010

The Circle Of Life

The Circle Of Life - 7" x 5" on hardboard/masonite

This painting is very special to me; it was inspired by the monthly challenge on the Daily Painters International Art Gallery which this month has been anything to do with dots and/or circles. 

I think anyone who has the slightest knowledge of me wouldn't be at all surprised to see that my rendition of a 'dots' painting would involve a Dalmatian in some form or other! However, this painting also reflects the 'circle' aspect in that it involves 3 generations of my own dogs - the circle of life. The black spotted dog is Emma. She is no longer with us and I don't think a day goes past that I don't think of her - we miss her more than I can say. She was Hazel's mother - Hazel is the liver-spotted girl - and in this painting Hazel's puppies are snuggling up to their devoted grandmother with the complete approval of Hazel. It was a very beautiful scene and reasonably unusual as often bitches will not allow even their own mother anywhere near their puppies. In this painting the puppies are 9 days old and their spots are just beginning to appear. Dalmatian puppies are born pure white, except for any with patches - solid areas of colour usually on the head - and pigment round their eyes and on their noses. At this age they are totally helpless with their eyes shut and their ears not yet open. We of course kept a puppy from this litter - we only breed when we want a puppy ourselves - and this little girl became our Angel who in her character often reminds us of her sweet grandmother.

I hope that this painting will be purchased by someone who will also find it special.

SOLD

(and to those who wonder, sold to the person who bought my first painting posted online and who has become a special friend)

This painting is straight off the easel and will need several days to dry before it can be shipped.


4 comments:

Stephanie said...

very talented,wish I could work in oils,I did a portrait of my beloved miniature schnuazer in prism pencil,great work

annezoutsos said...

Thanks so much :) Oils aren't really very difficult - why not have a go? You could buy just a few basic colours and a couple of brushes - nothing ventured, nothing gained!

Anne

Dean Grey said...

This is so touching, Anne, and so, so good!

I didn't know Dalmations came in brown-colored spots until now!

Wonderful composition that tells a very sweet story!

Be proud of this one!

-Dean

annezoutsos said...

That's so very, very kind of you Dean :) Yes, Dalmatians (please note the spelling!!!) come in the recognised colours of liver and black - there are other colours too but not recognised by any Kennel Clubs.

I still get a bit choked up when I look at the painting and remember the beautiful and tranquil scene.

Anne