Thursday 23 June 2011

Cleo - Dalmatian oil painting

Cleo - 10" x 8" oil on hardboard/masonite

I do apologise to my friends for my sporadic posts of late - I promise to try and do better from now on (mind you notice I am only promising to try!!) 

I am pleased to present Cleo, one of the paintings from my charity drive. I must warn you all now that there is a preponderance of Dalmatians in this effort, but I think this is mainly due to the large number of Dalmatians friends I have on facebook. However, don't worry, other breeds are also represented!!

I am frequently requested by artists if I will critique their portraits and I am very happy to do this. Most wish this to be done privately and of course I understand this, but if there are any out there who would like their efforts to be included on this blog, please let me know - there are a lot of artists at the beginning of their careers who would thank you. I am asked many, many times, what is the most important aspect of pet portraits and I suppose I would give the same answer, whether it was for an animal or human portrait and that is that you need to portray the personality and spirit of the subject. I would rather see a rough and ready portrait which portrayed personality, rather than a polished painting which was bland and without spirit, any day. However, for me the aim is to paint a realistic portrait which is both lively and reveals the character of the subject. 

I would also add that I am quite often asked to paint human portraits. I used to paint these but stopped a while ago owing to, I suppose, a disillusionment with the human race. I might be persuaded to paint another human one of these days - who knows - but I cannot at the moment imagine how!

For now, if you would like a portrait of your beloved pet immortalised by me, email me at info@azpaintings.com 
and I will get to work for you.

6 comments:

Studio at the Farm said...

I agree with you, Anne - the human race really has an over-inflated opinion of their importance. And Cleo is a beautiful portrait of a very sweet-looking dog.

annezoutsos said...

Thanks Kathryn - yes I am often ashamed of being a human although thankfully there are individuals who shine a light into a rather gloomy situation.

Art Collector's Corner said...

nice works!!

annezoutsos said...

Thank you!

Delilah said...

Excellent painting. Welcome to daily painters. It will be wonderful to see your daily paintings and now we have a Z.

annezoutsos said...

Ha ha Delilah - I am SO used to being the only Z in so many situations and it's definitely not always good being last!
Thanks so much for taking the time to comment and your kind welcome :)